[Nickle]Invalid input generates segfault

Carl Worth cworth@east.isi.edu
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 22:35:06 -0400

I've found that the following input cause a segmentation fault in
nickle, (1.99.1, 1.99.2, and CVS as of today):

	> int[] a;
	0x804c71e in CompileCompositeImplicitInit (type=0x814f1c0) at
	compile.c:1031
	1031            if (type->array.dimensions->tree.left)

where, of course, dimensions is NULL.

I assume this should be a syntax error? Maybe it's time to start
feeding random input to nickle to try to crash it? :)

-Carl

PS. I've found that it is quite easy with interactive nickle to get
the parser confused after a syntax error, (but not quite so easy to
unwedge it). For instance:

	> int foo()
	syntax error before "("
	+ )
	+
	+ }
	+ ;
	+
	+
	+ ;

	> # Phew!

I'm not sure how easy that would be to fix...