[Nickle] Mint and FreeBSD

James LaMar giantrobot at f-m.fm
Fri Sep 10 16:09:10 PDT 2004

Hey everyone,

  I just wanted to give everyone an update -- I'm reworking the guts of
  Mint (the parser generator) and so, while I'm working on it I'm going
  to be taking it offline while I straighten out the API and such.
  There's a lot of things about it I didn't like -- so I'm making
  radical changes and don't want anyone writing software against the
  first version.  I've updated the mint webpage accordingly and there's
  a (somewhat scanty) design document available for review.

  Also, this might be a noteworthy issue -- nickle on FreeBSD-5.3 (BETA)
  seems to cause frequent and nondeterministic bus errors.  Even
  something as simple as running nickle and immediately hitting
  Control-D (with the latest snapshot) causes a bus error:

tachikoma:~/prj/mintpage> nickle

Bus error (core dumped)

tachikoma:~/prj/mintpage> gdb /pkg/bin/nickle nickle.core
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd"...
Program terminated with signal 10, Bus error.
Reading symbols from /lib/libm.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libm.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib/libreadline.so.4...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libreadline.so.4
Reading symbols from /lib/libncurses.so.5...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libncurses.so.5
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.5...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libc.so.5
Reading symbols from /libexec/ld-elf.so.1...done.
Loaded symbols for /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
#0  MemReference (object=0xd0d0d0d0) at mem.c:251
251         if (!isReferenced (object))
(gdb) backtrace
#0  MemReference (object=0xd0d0d0d0) at mem.c:251
#1  0x0805ed7e in MarkBuiltinCode (object=0x80ac108) at func.c:81
#2  0x0805eef2 in FuncMark (object=0x80a7538) at func.c:114
#3  0x0804afa3 in BoxMark (object=0x80a7518) at box.c:26
#4  0x0806d17a in NamelistMark (object=0x80a7578) at scope.c:41
#5  0x0806d17a in NamelistMark (object=0x80a75b8) at scope.c:41
#6  0x0806d17a in NamelistMark (object=0x80a7608) at scope.c:41
#7  0x0806d17a in NamelistMark (object=0x80a7648) at scope.c:41
#8  0x0806d17a in NamelistMark (object=0x80a7698) at scope.c:41
#9  0x0806d17a in NamelistMark (object=0x80a76e8) at scope.c:41
#10 0x0806d17a in NamelistMark (object=0x80a7738) at scope.c:41
#11 0x0806d17a in NamelistMark (object=0x80a7778) at scope.c:41
#12 0x0806d17a in NamelistMark (object=0x80a77c8) at scope.c:41
#13 0x0806d17a in NamelistMark (object=0x80a7808) at scope.c:41
#14 0x0806d17a in NamelistMark (object=0x80a7848) at scope.c:41
#15 0x0806d17a in NamelistMark (object=0x80a7888) at scope.c:41
#16 0x0806d17a in NamelistMark (object=0x80a78d8) at scope.c:41
#17 0x0806d17a in NamelistMark (object=0x80a7928) at scope.c:41

I don't know if this is because it's a beta version of FreeBSD -- but I
saw a token few other reports of bus errors under FreeBSD when I was
searching for clues.  It's odd because I have always been able to run it
under (beta) versions of NetBSD as well.  I might try using it in
5.2-STABLE and see how things go.

--
  James
  giantrobot at f-m.fm